Friday, July 17, 2009

A Second Helping

Since I have not written in a week ( sorry!!) I figured I would double dip tonight.

I love cheese, (almost as much as my best friend Mary does), and I could easily make a meal out of a hunk of cheese and some fruit. But since my oven is already on ( see posting below) I would like to play around a bit.

Fruit and cheese are a classing paring, and almost any fruit will match any cheese. Tonight I’m working with what I’ve got in the fridge, so pears and Grana Padano it is.

Grana Padano
, is similar to Parmigiana Reggiano but has a more subtle flavor which works nicely with pears. It is also amazing shaved over an arugula salad, or added to pasta dishes. Or you can just leave a hunk on a plate, add some fruit and make a meal out of it.

Pear and Grana Padano Toast

2 slices of multi grain bread
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 pear (peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slivers)
1/4 cup grated Grana Padano cheese
2 tbsp honey

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Cut bread into triangles ( diagonally in half, then in quarters). Place triangles on a baking sheet, brush with olive oil, and toast for 3 minutes.

Remove from oven. Layer each piece with pears and top with grated cheese. Place baking sheet back in the oven until the cheese melts, (about 8 minutes).

Let cool and drizzle with honey.

These toasts would also be great hor d’oeurves for cocktail parties!

No comments:

Post a Comment