Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A repeat offender

I know what your thinking... another pasta dish. But I promised I'd cook something else and I did. We're off of pasta ( at least for tonight).
I'm not accustomed to eating the same thing every night. I'm not saying that I don't eat leftovers, I actually really love them, but if I'm cooking I'll never cook the same thing two days in a row. I don't even like repeating flavors. Its just not my style. So today I was surprised when, midway through cooking, I reached for the oregano.
I hardly ever use the herb. In fact, I bought the little jar months ago when Gian Luca wanted to make his Mariottini Pizza. And after that night, it sat on our shelf until yesterday. But there was something about the soft aroma that rose up from that pan and lingered in the kitchen. I wanted more.
So tonight, I reached for it again, and sprinkled it liberally on some fresh cod and potatoes before popping them in the oven.
Once again, I wandered through the apartment savoring the aroma of oregano.

Baked Cod with Potatoes

4 medium cod filets
4 large potatoes
1 cup marinara sauce
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Blanch potatoes in boiling salted water until soft but still a bit firm. Drain and slice into 1/8" rounds.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cover the bottom of a medium baking dish with a thin layer of marinara sauce. Layer the cod and potatoes in the dish. Sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil. Place a bit more marinara sauce on top.
Bake for 15-18 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment