Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Still Holding On

I can't accept that summer is over. No, I just won't. And technically, it is not over for another 2 1/2 weeks, so I can keep holding on to these long sunny days and cool summer nights. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. You never know in Minnesota. I might start snowing tomorrow.
But it's not snowing now and it didn't snow yesterday, so I seized the opportunity for a picnic at the lake with some friends.

If there's one thing that defines summer for me, it is tomatoes. And since I can't bear to let the season go, I figured that I'd make the entire house smell like sweet summer. It was easy. I just threw some cherry tomatoes in the oven, turned up the heat and basked in the aroma.

Besides smelling great, these tomatoes are delicious, and tossed in a pasta salad made each bite taste like sunshine. Hours later, when I returned, the smell was still lingering, like those last few rays of sun before the end of the day.


Roasted Tomatoes
2 cartons of cherry tomatoes
1 tablespoon oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Wash tomatoes and place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with oregano and olive oil. Place in oven for 30 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.


Roasted Tomato and Mozzarella Pasta Salad
1 box of pasta ( I used Rotini because it is my favorite shape for pasta salad)
2 cartons of Roasted Cherry tomatoes
8 oz ciliegine ( fresh mozzarella)
1 cups fresh basil
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Cook pasta in boiling salted water. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool.
Blend the basil and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a mixer to a rough chop ( you still want to be able to see some leaves of basil).
Place roasted tomatoes in a large mixing bowl. Place the cooled pasta on top. Top with the basil and remaining oil. Toss until all the pasta is coated. Add the ciliegine, salt, and pepper. Toss and serve.
serves 4-6

4 comments:

  1. Roasted tomatoes are great and with pasta that's even better... thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roast tomatoes, basil, pasta - don't for more

    ReplyDelete
  3. i made this last night!!! so good! thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete