Thursday, July 29, 2010

Summer Muffins

Sorry for another post without pictures but we still haven't gotten this internet fixed!

I love reading, always have, always will. And I especially love reading in the summer ( chalk it up to all those lazy mornings on the beach).
Last summer I started a tradition of reading food memoirs* because they're fast, usually fun, and easy to enjoy when your feet is in the sand. And even though we're not near a beach this year, I still picked up a nice food memoir to enjoy by the pool. Though this one was not all about the food.

You may know Paul Deen from her food network shows but trust me, you do not know the real Ms. Deen until you've read her book It Ain't All About the Cookin'
In it, she shares her rags- to- riches story in her famous comforting tone. Really, the more I read the more I felt like I was sitting at Aunt Paula's table drinking a cup of coffee with her. (After reading, you'll want to call her Aunt Paula too).

Paula Deen's tale is not only inspirational, its also full of recipes.

Now I'm not a big fan of cooking southern food, and we all know Aunt Paula is the queen of butter and mayo. If you read my blog you'll know that I'm not a butter or mayo queen, so I am hesitant to try most of her recipes.

But when I came across her recipe for "The Best Damn Blueberry Muffins You'll Ever Eat" I had to give them a try.
Well Aunt Paula didn't lie. They really are the best: moist and cakey, with lost of juicy fruit and a crackly sugar topping. Perfect for a summer brunch.

Give them a try and let me know what you think.


Paula Deen's Blueberry Muffins

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick melted butter
1 egg ( lightly beaten)
3/4 cup whole milk
1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup brown or white sugar

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 12 cup muffin pan.
2) In a large bow, combine the flour, baking powder and sugar. Set aside.
3) In a smaller bowl, combine the butter, egg, and milk. Mix well
4) Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry, stirring until all the dry is incorporated.
5) Gently fold in the blueberries, careful not the break them.
6) Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling each one 2/3 of the way full.
7) Bake for ten minutes.
8) Remove muffins and top with brown or white sugar. Return to oven for an additional ten- twenty minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
9) Let cool in pan for ten minutes before turning out.
Enjoy with a nice tall glass of milk.


*send me your recommendations. I need a new book to read!

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if Jamie Oliver has a memoir but the stories in this cookbooks are so lovely. That's one of the reasons I liked his cookbooks so much. Every recipe has a unique story that points to one part of his history. Much like yours do! He's also an amazing entrepreneur with a whole set of passions that he's not afraid to take on which makes him so different from everyone else, I think. Love him!
    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good blueberry muffin - perfect to bring to work and enjoy with my coffee. I have to try them if they are "the best damn muffins you'll ever eat"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know - I may have to make this. MN has a bumper crop of blueberries and I working on a berry-themed post. And the "best blueberry muffins ever" really draws one in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting the other day! :) Part of me can only think of "donut burgers" when I think of Paula Deen, but I've read part of her memoir and really do find it inspirational. So cool that she worked her way up from absolutely nothing. And I bet the muffins are incredible, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooda-lolly! You're blogging again and we didn't even realize until today! We miss you all so much! I will write to you personally later but I found a new great g-f cooking site and I think you'll like many of her recipes, too.

    Check out these g-f high protein brownies!
    http://www.elanaspantry.com/brownies/

    Ciao~Jann

    ReplyDelete